Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reflections: EDLD 5399 Capstone Class

SBEC Self Assessment Reflection:
In Looking at my self-assessment, I believe that I have grown through this educational process and expanded my knowledge of each of the ten competencies.  I feel that I am competent on the budgetary processes just because I have not had the opportunity to experience the budgetary process in a school district.  It seems that would be a large process that is very involved, but I believe I understand the process and could complete the task.  However, I do feel my leadership abilities are strengths for me.  I know I will need to continue improving my leadership skills even after I complete this program, but I know that education is an ongoing process for me and I will seek more experience to improve my knowledge of being a Superintendent.  I feel that Competencies 1 through 4 are strengths for me.  Competencies 5, 6, and 7 are areas that I am comfortable with; however, there are a few I may need more education and experience in dealing with them.  I believe that I need to learn more about extra-curricular activities and adult education because those things I am familiar with, but I am no expert in dealing with the planning and implementation phases.  I feel that I understand how it works, but have never actually dealt with either one, which is why I believe I need more experience before I am strong in that area.  Competency 8 deals with finance and the budgetary process, which are where I feel comfortable, but again I am not an expert.  I feel competency 9 has some areas where I need more experience.  For example, I feel I am competent in dealing with school buildings and finance, but I need to experience it in order to be strong and lead the activity.  Competency 10 is a strong area for me because I feel that I can apply organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills and facilitate positive change in varied contexts.
I know that I can lead a district in all areas, but I also can improve my knowledge in many areas so I can become a knowledgeable and experienced Superintendent.  From what I have learned throughout this coursework and through the internship, I believe that I am competent in many areas and this coursework has given me a full understanding of the process involved in becoming a Superintendent.

Section A: Postion Goal and Leadership Statement


Position Goal

Currently, I am an Assistant Principal of an Intermediate School for fourth and fifth grade students.  My goal in education is to move into a Principal position or an Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum within my school district.  After several years, my goal would be to become Superintendent of Schools.  Ultimately, in about twenty years or so, I see myself teaching at the college level.  Getting my doctoral degree is a work in progress and I would like to share my experiences with others and give them some pertinent information that they need to become teachers, principals, and superintendents.  I feel that it is important for me to work my way up through the educational hierarchy because moving through the positions will give me the information to share with others when I become a college professor. 

Leadership Goal Statement

Throughout my educational career, I have had the opportunity to learn many unique leadership skills from several of my Principals and Superintendents.  I feel that I am motivated to become a leader to help others become better educators and ensure that students are pushed to excel and become prominent and productive citizens.  My motivation to lead comes from the experiences I have had in the past and I want to encourage and educate others and lead them to become great teachers, principals and Superintendents in our school districts. Throughout that leadership era, I hope to accomplish building a school district where people want to come to work and are enthusiastic about educating students.  When we see teachers and staff members enjoy what they do, we will see an improvement in their work ethics, which will result in students who will love learning, too.  I hope to instill this love of learning to my staff and also to the students. 

My school district does a great job educating students, but we need to increase the rigor in our classrooms and improve the quality of instruction due to the changes we see in our accountability systems.  One area where my district has needed to improve is in math across the board.  By finding new and creative ways to deliver math instruction and strategies that can enhance learning in math classrooms, we can improve our student mastery of math.  Also, my district is seeing a shift in our economic disadvantaged students and an increase in our at risk population, we need to change our delivery of instruction to meet the needs of our student population.  We also need to educate our staff as to different ways to meet their needs.  By seeing this shift in our cultural diversity, I have seen an educational need arise in my district where I feel I can help us change our thinking to improve student success. 

Personally, I have been in situations where I have witnessed unethical behavior and issues arise that have gone unaddressed.  Also, I have experienced climates where teachers are left to solve issues alone and I feel the need to help struggling teachers and administrators so they can flourish and become great leaders within my school district.

Throughout this internship, I have experienced many activities that have helped me become a better leader and feel more confident in becoming a future Superintendent.  I feel that I have been able to create an environment within my campus that is welcoming and that staff want to be there.  I also feel that I have been able to implement different activities into the school that have greatly improved the instruction we deliver.  We have incorporated Family Nights into our curriculum to prepare students and parents with instruction in the classroom.  I have grown as a leader throughout this internship because I have been able to find innovative ways to improve the effectiveness of our programs and implement them to prepare our students for the future.  Being aware of what we are able to give within our school district has also given me the opportunity to understand and see the great attributes that our staff have and how we all fit into this plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment